Monday, October 26, 2009

Organize Your Stuff Challenge - Week 23

Good moooooorning, scrappers! Hope you all can take a quick break from your ghosts and goblins to join me in organizing your templates this week! This should be a relatively laid back week, since templates don't come in too many shapes or sizes, which limits their storage options. And chances are, you probably have a setup that works for you now - in some form or another. This will probably be more of a "tweak" week than a total reorganization.

First off - HOW to organize your templates. By type is one of the most logical - brass with brass, plastic with plastic, etc. Another easy way is by theme - journaling, baby, etc, with all your template types mixed in. Either way is valid - go with how you scrap, and that will help guide your decision.

Now, let's get those templates organized! Once you've decided on your method, let's find a good home. Please note that the links I posted are intended to give you a visual idea of what it is I'm talking about - it doesn't mean I endorse the product or the store.

Brass/small templates:
In clear CD cases (NOT slimline)
Stacked by theme in clear plastic shoeboxes or photo boxes
Zip N Flip: http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/278904.html
In hanging zip-top bags
On jump rings
In a multi-drawer chest
In a mini photo album
PSB or baseball card sleeves

Larger plastic templates:
In 3-ring binders
Stacked in magazine holders
In hanging zip-top bags
On jump rings
In a multi-drawer chest

For my templates, I decided to organize them by type - mainly because I know what I have. My smaller brass templates are in a Cropper Hopper zip n flip system in a 3-ring binder:


For my larger templates, they go in a 3-ring binder as well. If they don't have holes to fit the rings, then I just slide them into a sheet protector.

Promised you this week would be short and sweet!

In closing, I want to add my 10 rules for organizing. I'm going to post these at the end of every challenge, because I think they are very, very important. I want you to keep them in mind as you tackle each of these projects - they will make your life easier and the task less daunting.

1. Label your containers.

2. Be consistent in your methods.

3. Don't be too specific - your search for your items within your space should be short and simple.

4. Your organizational method should be easy to take out AND put away.

5. When organizing, break any large piles into smaller groupings. Have a 2 foot tall stack of paper to sort? Do it in 1" high chunks, it will be easier to handle mentally.

6. If it's something that you use on almost every project, then keep it within reach of your main scrap area.

7. Don't stress your containers. Get a new system or purge your stash.

8. For most items, product packaging adds bulk. Toss it. One exception - rub ons.

9. Repurpose when you can - almost anything can be painted or covered in paper/fabric.

10. THE GOLDEN RULE - FIRST choose an organizational method, THEN choose a container that fits your space and style. Always shop for containers with a list in hand - a beautiful container is simply clutter if it doesn't have a dedicated purpose in your space!

Your templates are now happy in their new homes! Congrats! Meet me back here next week, same time, same channel, and we'll work on storing memorabilia. See you then!


Stacy

2 comments: